Made by hands, expressed from the heart.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Cherry Blossom Festival: final preparations.

Spring always brings a good energy, and this year I am especially exited to be part of the Cherry Blossom Festival at Stony Brook College.
Me and my family will be performing Taiko (Japanese drumming), and we have been working on different Japanese souvenirs.
We made little dolls in wood called Daruma, which is a good luck symbol. He comes with white eyes, and you paint one asking for a wish. When the wish comes true, he gets the other eye (I used to feel bad for the Daruma, so I always gave him both eyes regardless).
We made a bunch of Taikos, that we like so much.
And we also have these little Japanese sandals, called Getas.
To make a display, I almost bought a bracelet display at Michaels, but my husband said he could make one. After brainstorming, I suggested a Torii, which is a gate that "symbolically marks the transition from the profane to the sacred" (according to Wikipedia). He said he could make it in wood, and the results were very nice.
I also made my Kanzashi flowers and placed them on a display.
Now I think we are all ready for the season, and start the Spring festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment