Made by hands, expressed from the heart.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Smart Cookies, because they are healthy.

I was browsing through recipes on you tube yesterday, and I saw these cute videos called Nerdy Nummies. This adorable girl posts these edibles cute ideas, she is very entertaining and I love her recipes (take a look on Nerdy Nummies).
From one of her recipes I used the idea of the glasses in the cookie. But instead of using sugar, I made them out of chocolate (because it is what I had). And through a piping bag, I made glasses, eyes and mouths on top of aluminum foil (also because I am out of parchment paper).

To make the cookies, I also modified the recipe , to make it a little healthier. Not only because I am a healthy freak, but I have a very picky child, who do not eat any vegetables (I tried very hard). So every time I have a chance to sneak a little nutrient here and there, I do it (but it does not guarantee it will pass the taste test).

So what I did is used a chocolate chip cookie recipe, and substituted a few items:
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 3/4 cup Quinoa flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup coconut butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chocolate morsels
Mix butter in electric mixer, add sugar, eggs, vanilla, then all the dry ingredients. Last fold the chocolate morsels by hand. Measure the dough with a tablespoon to drop in the baking sheet, but push the ball with your hand to flatten the dough (so the cookie can be more round and flat to place glasses). Then bake at 375 F for 10 minutes.
After baked and slightly cooled, place the glasses, eyes, and mouth. If the cookies is still warm, the chocolate will melt a little and it will stick to the cookie.

And they did pass the taste test! My very finicky child loves the cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment