Made by hands, expressed from the heart.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Meatloaf Cake

This is an idea that I used a couple of years ago, for my husband's birthday. We have been doing our best to eat healthy and exercise. On the weekends we always share a good dessert with the kids. But especially me, it is not wise to have an entire cake in the house. So that is why I decided to make a meatloaf cake.
I used a recipe from Food Network, but I modified a little:
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 5 slices of bread
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese


Mix everything.



Place in two 8 inch baking pans, and bake at 350F for 1 hour and 10 minutes.


While baking, make the "frosting" with mashed potatoes. You can make from scratch, but I took a short cut and used a box mix. Made according to instructions using directions for 8 portions.

When out of the oven, take one meat disc in the serving plate, place about 1/3 of the mashed potato and spread to make the filling, then place the second meatloaf disc. With another 1/3 of the mashed potatoes, cover the entire area like a regular cake. Then cover the entire "cake", the same way a normal cake is covered.



Then using the remaining mashed potatoes, use a piping bag to make the flowers. If it is too hard to pipe, you can add a little bit of milk. To add a little color, I used food coloring to make the detail on the bottom.
Then it is ready!! (I microwaved it to make it hotter to serve)

By the way, I made this for my 45th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment