Made by hands, expressed from the heart.

Friday, August 7, 2015

Hamburger Bean Bag.

I was so out of ideas, and had no new projects in mind, I thought my creativity had vanished. Just when my son mentioned the other day, he planned to have a bean bag in a shape of a hamburger.
That is when I jumped in, and had my next project in line: attempt a DIY hamburger bean bag.
So I took a ride to Jo-Ann Fabrics and bought the fabric (all of the fabrics were 54 inches wide):
- 4 yards of Honey plush felt (for the bread)
- 2 yards of chocolate plush felt (for the burger)
- 1 yard of yellow fleece (for cheese)
- 1 yard of of green fleece (for lettuce)
- 1 yard of red fleece (for tomatoes)
- 2 yards of any fabric to make the bottom parts (I used an old piece of tough fabric, and a old pillowcase).
For filling material I went to AC Moore: - 2 boxes of 5 Lbs polyester fiber fill (for stuffing the bread) - 1 roll of quilt batting for stuffing the flat projects. * The material didn't come out exactly cheap like I thought, especially because the discount coupon I had wasn't valid until the next day.

Back home I had to find a way to make a pattern. So I started from the bottom, and made the bread:
I cut a 34 inch diameter piece of a tough fabric (I used denim) I had at home. Color doesn't matter because it will be on the floor.
And I cut what would be the sides of the bread, a strip 104 inches long by 12 inches high.
To complete this piece of bread I cut another 34 inch diameter, this time in the bread color fabric.
Using the burger color, I cut two 34 inches diameter circles. and a strip 2 inches high and 104 inches long.
For the lettuce I just used the green fabric, folded, and cut waves around.
For two tomatoes, four circles of 16 inches diameters, and four long strips 49 inches long by 1 inch high to make the sides.

Finally the top bread piece, I used a pillowcase, cut it open, and cut a 34 inch diameter circle, for the part underneath.
And for the part on top, a 46 inches diameter circle, with the honey color fabric for the bread.

Next morning I was ready for work.
I started from the bottom, sewing the circle that goes on the floor, with the sides of the bread. Here is a view upside down, after sewing.
Next I sewed the 34 inches circle in the bread color to the top, leaving an opening for stuffing.
This is after stuffed.
For the cheeses I cut the yellow fabric in half, to make two half yard pieces of cheese. I also cut the quilting stuffing (called Quilt Batting) in the same shape.
And sewed two rectangles.
Next for the lettuce, I first cut the filling in the shape, sewed, then stuffed.
For the tomatoes I first sewed the strips on the side, to give a little height.
A little trick I learned from my Mom, is that for round sewing projects, we need to make small cuts after sewing, to give a better finish after turning right side out.
Then cutting the filling to a round shape, stuff and close.
The burger piece was like the tomato but big: sewing the sides with the strip, sewing the top, stuff and close.
The last part was the top bread. So I hand sewed the 46 inches circle (with the honey colored fleece) and pulled the seam, to make the circumference smaller to match the 34 inch circle ( made with the green pillowcase fabric).
Then both sewed together, leaving a hole to turn inside out.
By this time I needed help to put the stuffing in.
After closing it already looked like a hamburger.
Finally to make more realistic, I made the sesame seeds using scraps of white fleece (cut into a teardrop shape), and hand sewn to the bread.
I was so relieved that my final work was how I imagined. After all the money and time I spent, it would be a shame to be all ruined. Thank Heavens it worked.
And everyone enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment