Made by hands, expressed from the heart.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Strawberry Birdies.

Last year I was discouraged to grow strawberries, because the plant I bought didn't grow much, and the fruit were so low to the ground, that they all had little bite marks from the creatures of the garden.
But what I didn't know, is that the plant shrivels and dries in the Winter, and come back the next Spring. And they grow bigger and fuller than before. So this year, the plant is taller, and there are much more little strawberries than last year.
Since Spring came, and the flowers and strawberries are coming, I decided to make this little bird in a nest for the kids.
First I made a partial recipe of Rice Krispies treats.

I cut the proportions to:
- 1 cup of Rice Krispies cereal
- 2/3 cup of marsmallows
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter

After I melted the butter in a saucepan, I added the marshmallows mixing until melted, everything under low heat. Then everything was mixed with the Rice Krispies.
Using a muffin tin, I place about 1/6 of this mixture in each tin, and roughly modeled a nest, pushing with a spoon and my fingers.
After the nests are done, I made the beaks for the birdies using a peach, cutting the little triangle with a sharp knife.
Last I melted a tiny amount of chocolate, and used toothpicks to drop the chocolate in the strawberries, to make the eyes, and some to "glue" the beak.
Then last I placed the birdies on top of the Rice Krispies nest.
They make cute little birdies, and they entertain the kids for a little while.
Plus I can take more pictures of my beautiful flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment