Made by hands, expressed from the heart.

Friday, February 10, 2012

It is not dessert!

Every birthday a cake is essential.We can light candles, sing happy birthday and take pictures next to a pretty cake. But baked goods are very dangerous around me. I can devour huge amount of sugary calories, and see the results in the scale. I am far away to achieve moderation. If I have a slice, I have to eat the whole thing. The healthier versions I tried in the past never tasted or looked as good as the real. So for my husband's birthday, I decided to put the candles on our dinner entree, and made it with meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I saw a picture once, and decided to give it a try. I followed this recipe of turkey and quinoa  MeatLoaf  but I believe any recipe will work. I divided them into 2 round 9 inch baking pans. After baked, I took them out of the pans, assembled like a cake, using mashed potatos from a box for filling and frosting. Then put the mashed potatoes in a pipping bag, use food coloring and decorate like a regular cake, with flowers
. To write on top, I used ketchup in a pipping bag with the smallest round tip, because it is slightly runny. Practice to write before. But that was it! It looked like a cake, we ate for dinner, and we had baked apples with nuts for dessert. For the sake of our waistline. PS: One last tip. If you want to skip the making meatloaf process, and make an individual cake, use hamburgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment