Monday, February 23, 2015
The evolution of Totoro.
Since we watched the movie, My Neighbor Totoro, all we want is a big, furry, Totoro. My husband saw a Totoro toy, and he never bought it. He has so much faith on me, he was certain I could make one. I am a OK seamstress, but have no idea how to make patterns. But since the challenge was on, I decided to give it a try. In order to avoid waste of material, I started using leftover pieces of whatever fabrics I had. My first prototype was cut and stapled. It looked very scary, but it kind of resembled what I had in mind. I made a pattern out of that, I sewed thinking there was not much mystery about making a simple toy..but it came out super short, like if he had lost his legs (if he had them). Ok, so I just had to adjust his stature, and made a new one. And...he just looked very slim. His hips were missing. Then after adding the hips, I think his shape was fine. I made some adjustments to add a muzzle, so his face wouldn't be so flat. And finally I used the real fabric to make Totoro. In the end, he didn't look so bad. I used a plastic nose from the craft store, and the other details in fabric. And I even had some fabric, to make a little one. This one I had to embroider the eyes and the nose. I also made a Totoro with suction hands, so he can stick to a car window. Now everyone is happy, we all have Totoros to play, to bring in the car, and to bring to bed. I will soon post the pattern for the smaller Totoro.