Made by hands, expressed from the heart.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Pikachu Burgers

I start to think that my kids brainwashed me to see Pokemon everywhere, and now everything I try to make is Pokemon related.
I saw Pikachu burgers on Facebook, and I the hamburger bread I had looked ideal to make it.
The trouble was to make the ears, and we found these cheese snacks called Bugles, that shaped like his ears.
Using some food coloring, I made the tip black.
Then using food coloring pens, I made the face.
After placing the ears, the burger was completed.
I have a feeling this Pokemon trend will continue for a long time.
Pikachu is already inside my brain.

Friday, August 12, 2016

Taekwondo Cookies

My kids have a picnic tomorrow, and all the parents are bringing some goodies.
I always wanted to use my NinjaBread Cookie Cutters to make little martial arts people. Since the picnic is for Y.H.Park Taekwondo Academy, it would be the perfect occasion to make them. So, I decided to give it a try. To be on the safe side I signed up to bring hamburger bread, just in case they failed.
I didn't take any pictures during the process, because it was such a big batch that I had to work nonstop and I was afraid I wouldn't have time to finish.
The recipe I used is from Alton Brown and it is here on this link: Sugar Cookie Recipe.
The recipe for the icing is here: Simple Cookie Glaze, from King Arthur flour.
Applying the icing is the most time consuming part, the kitchen had food coloring all over the place and at each color more kitchen utensils needed to be used.

Hopefully the kids will like them, and eat them all.

Friday, August 5, 2016

Crane in wood.

I decided to make a gift to a friend, who is a bird lover. So my first thought was to make a Japanese Crane, or Red- Crowned Crane.
Like many of my projects, I make in the last minute, don't plan much and don't know if it will work. And since I was rushing, I made the drawing directly in the wood and didn't make a copy. The result was, after cutting the pieces,a few got mixed up and didn't fit.
After a few seconds of panic, the solution was to sand some pieces a little extra, until they fit in this puzzle.
After glued and painted, it did not look so bad.
Go fly, my crane.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Kawaii Roll Cake.

My last roll cake did not roll properly. But now that I found out what I did wrong: I used the wrong baking pan. Now that I had the jelly roll baking pan, it was time to make it again.
As I mentioned before, the recipe and instructions I got from How to Cook That (just click on the highlighted name to go to the page).
Today I decided to make something cute (or something other than Pokemons).


Last the cake batter, this time in a jelly roll baking pan.
According to the instructions from How to Cook That, I flipped the cake and removed the parchment paper while hot. Then cooled it off for filling.
I filled with whipped heavy cream and strawberries, and this time it rolled nicely.
The cake is very good, fluffy and sweet.
Something I will be making more in the future.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Pokemon (almost) Rool Cake.


I decided to make a Roll Cake with a pattern, and asked my son to draw something he likes. Figures, he made Pikachu.
I used this very good recipe from How to Cook That. She has the recipe, and detailed explanation on her video about patterns you can make in the cake.
So using the drawings in the background of the parchment paper, with a toothpick and different color cake batters, I made the illustration.
At each layer, the drawing has to go in the freezer, so the colors don't mix.
After the last layer of colors is frozen, the cake batter goes on top (recipe on the link: How to Cook That).
After baked it looked nice.
I had some chocolate frosting for the filling.
But THEN, when I was ready to roll the cake, it cracked like this.
It looked like a sandwich. Later I realized my mistake: I did not use a jelly roll baking pan . My cake was shorter, so it was thicker, and could not roll properly.
It was sad that broke, but the kids liked anyway.
Next time I will make it in a proper pan.
For now this will be a sandwich cake.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Summer dresses.

I had 2 different pieces of fabric a got from Jo-Ann Fabrics a while ago, when I had discount coupons. So I decided to be adventurous and try something simple, without too many parts to cut or pieces to fit. Meaning less chance to mess up the dress.
I saw this lady wearing a nice dress the other day, and I decided that would be the one I should be making.

I opened my 1 yard of fabric.
Cut the part that would be the band in the chest area. About 10 inches.
I turned the band part around, so it would show the "right" side up (or prettier side), while the other side of the fabric show the "wrong" side up. Then the two parts are sewn together again.
Next I sewed a elastic on right underneath the seam of the two fabrics, on the bigger piece of fabric. I found a good tutorial here on how to sew elastic, on RaechelMyers.com
Them finally closing the sides, and finishing the edges.
To wear it, turn the band down to make the ruffle.
I had a belt I got from Old Navy on sale. It came out pretty handy.
If my explanation was hard to understand, there is a good step by step tutorial here on SharonSews.
It was fairly quick to make this dress, besides the fact my machine kept breaking every five minutes.
Then I decided to make a second one. This time shorter.
The pattern was pretty easy, and the same for front and back.
You just have to make a casing on the top part, so you can pass the string, then close the sides and seam the edges. On this website you can see more detailed description: SewLikeMyMom. Note: they describe children's dresses, but I took the same steps. It was pretty much stress free, inexpensive and fast to make.
I had leftover fabric and made this top, using the same steps as the dress, but shorter.
Two days, two new dresses and a top for the Summer.