Thursday, February 18, 2016
We needed to find out what my son's friend wanted for his birthday, and one thing he really likes is Pokemon characters. So I said I would make a stuffed Pikachu. I had no idea how I would make it, and if it would work. But I got some fabrics at Joann fabric store, anyway. The worst part was to try to make a pattern for the toy. After cutting and ripping papers I had something that could work for his body. I used an old T-shirt to make a test toy, before I would ruin the good fabric. It was a good idea, because the head was way out of proportion. After making another head, with the sides shorter and the face flatter, I got the right head. Then I started working on the yellow fabric. I was so afraid to make a mistake, that I started making the details on the face before sewing anything (just in case I had to throw away the piece). I used felt for the eyes, mouth and nose, and sewed by hand, to make sure they were in the right place. The details on his back were bigger and more straight, so I was able to sew on the machine, before making the body. The head was a little heavy, and needed more stitches to hold up. The ears were very heavy too, and they needed extra stitches to stay in place. And in the end, I couldn't believe he really looked like Pikachu. I guess we never know, if we don't try.