Made by hands, expressed from the heart.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Ultraman family.

My kids were wondering what kind of alien faces I put in our portrait for Halloween. So I had to explain to them that Ultraman was the very first super hero I saw on TV, one of the first monster/alien/science fiction related television series, created in Japan in 1966.
Growing up with my boy cousins, we played the roles of Ultraman, Ultraseven, Ultraman Leo, Ultraman Taro, monsters and aliens.
It was the first time I was introduced to the concept of aliens, space ships, and monsters. And what I call "vintage" special effects, with flying saucers hanging from a thread, and monsters with the zipper showing, were a great start to our games and imagination.
So I couldn't wait for an opportunity to make these superheroes masks.
I used silver, gold and red bags from the dollar store.
Then I cut and glued the pieces to the size of our heads.

The glue smeared off in some places, and took the shine form the paper away, so I cleaned with a Q-tip with water.
To place the masks on the faces, I gently attached a piece of scotch tape (rolled like a ring) to avoid ruining the glass.
Not many people might know who they are, the kids I am sure will have no idea where these characters came from.
But I think they are the greatest aliens with super powers of all times.
I love you Ultra family.

No comments:

Post a Comment