Monday, October 26, 2015
Darth Vader Samurai.
My son couldn't decide what to be for Halloween this year, and I have been wanted to make a Darth Vader Samurai for a long time. So I was very happy when he agreed to wear this costume. I started with the hat, and after a trip to Michaels, I found a brown hat and black foam sheets. I had to buy black spray paint to color the hat, after the sides were cut. After dried, I cut pieces of foam sheets to make all the details. This is how I made the mouth piece. Then glued to the side pieces. And attached to the sides of the hat, using buttons inside and outside, so it can move a little. I hand sewed the side details of the hat and the detail for the chin. I glued the flaps around the hat, then I attached the sides. And the chin piece. But I couldn't forget the detail on the top of the hat. I used my old black skirt to make his cape, and glued to this neck piece. For the chest piece, I was able to make this details, using a technique my husband discovered: the foam sheet is heated in the oven at 350 degrees F, and immediately placed on the form it will take, at the same time that is vacuumed. Both parts were glued to one piece of foam sheet, to cover the entire chest. And I added a little golden piece for extra detail. For the shoulder pieces, I used the same oven technique. First I had to make a mold using clay. After heating the sheets in the oven, and placing on the mold, also using the vacuum, they take the shape. I used the same mold to make cuffs for the arms. And I couldn't forget the leg protectors, using more black foam sheets sewed and attached to a belt. He is very happy with his costume. I don't know if it will last a long time, but it was worth the work, at least for these pictures.