Made by hands, expressed from the heart.

Monday, June 29, 2015

Pirate Festival.

The first time I went to the Pirate Festival in the Long Island Maritime Museum, I thought it was a dream.
All the costumes, the music, the pirates and the pirate- talk that I have never experienced before.
So I decided for the next one, I was going to make outfits and dress everybody up like a pirate.
First I made hats using black and white foam sheets from the craft store. Two pieces of black sheets cut in the same shape and glued on the sides, to fit to the head (the top of the head sticks out of this fake hat).
Then I wanted to make a treasure map. So I got some white construction paper and cut in the shape of an old map.
To make the paper look old, I soaked in coffee for a few hours, until stained.
And last I dried in the oven at 400F for about 2 minutes, to dry and burn slightly the edges (but not to set the place on fire).
Finally with a fine black marker, I drew a map (or 2).
But if you don't want to go to all this trouble, just download my maps here:
Pirate Map1
Pirate Map2

To make my kids look more like pirates, I made a belt with a skull buckle. Using paper clay, I made the skulls, and a fake buckle.
Using white foam paper, I cut into swords.
Glued them together.
And painted using gold metallic craft paint.
To make the leather belt, and other accessories, I used different craft papers from Michaels.
And for a final touch, I found a shell necklace at Party City.
We had an old pirate T shirt, and I cut the bottom of his black pants.
It was a fun festival. Hoping to go next year again.

No comments:

Post a Comment