Made by hands, expressed from the heart.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Pumpkin: from the farm to the jar.


Even with all the things I like to make myself, I still like to take the shortcuts, and have the convenience of buying food from the can.
But this weekend my mother-in-law, visiting from Brazil, starting to cook the way she usually does. And I was surprised to see how much easier it is for us, who choose to drive to the store.
So I think she deserves to have all her work presented to everyone.
In the morning we went to Schmitts Farm and she picked a pumpkin (which I thought it would be a decoration).

After lunch she was bored, so she decided to peel the pumpkin. Granted, the skin is so hard I gave up helping.

When I walked away, she cut the whole thing in strips.
Then I came back, and we took turns slicing in my Mandolin slicer.
I was relieved to see we were able to finishing slicing. So she could start cooking, adding about 3 cups of sugar, and about 1/2 cup of water.

And cooking, stirring, and breaking in pieces constantly for about 1/2 hour.

Until it was finally ready.

It tastes so good, that I had to put it in a little jar, and make it more official.
It reads:" Grandma's Big Dessert"(or something close to that).
But the point is, it is a nice thing to see Grandma going to all this process, to see your kids happy.
Thank you Vovo.

No comments:

Post a Comment