Made by hands, expressed from the heart.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

How can I make this boy eat vegetables?

I always thought it would be a natural thing to feed my kids vegetables, just the way I grew up. And if they refuse, just make them eat. Well, easier said than done. I tried all different approaches to feed my 7 year- old veggies. I tempted, asked, forced, bargained, threatened, hid, mixed vegetables in his food. And all I got was no thank you, hunger strike, cry, gag, and throw up. And if he feels the texture, he will throw up, no matter when or where (it actually happened at school on halloween day. He was dispensed and missed the party). But on my quest to make him eat better, my only solution was blend healthy items with something he eats. That's why I made these meatballs, mixed with everything that is not green, or it will not be consumed. Here is the recipe:
- 1/2 cup of carrots
- 1/2 small peeled and diced eggplant
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cup cauliflower
- 1/2 small zucchinni
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 mushrooms
- 1 egg
- 1.5 Lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
Place all the vegetables, lemon juice,and the egg in a food processor, blend until creamy. Mix with the rest of the ingredientes in a big bowl with your hands. Then you can make in a shape of meatballs, burgers, or meatloaves. If you make round balls (about 2 inches), bake at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes. You can also use miniature muffin cups and bake the same way. I sometimes also cook the meatballs in tomato sauce, for about 20 minutes in medium heat, and serve with spaghetti. And finally he ate these veggies, but don't tell him that.

No comments:

Post a Comment